I love glass canisters. I think they look so cute on the kitchen counter. When I moved into this house, I knew I wanted to get some, but unfortunately my budget would only allow me to get these from Walmart (big ones ~$8, small ones ~$4). They are “the look” I wanted, but I’ve never been happy with them. They need something extra. And whenever John cooks, I always have to come in the kitchen 15 times to tell him what is in each canister.
After seeing my friend Clara’s canisters a year ago, I knew I wanted to do what she did! But alas, I didn’t really have the money and I didn’t win her giveaway… drats. So, I just kept my boring canisters.
I’ve heard about personal die cut machines that cut vinyl and I knew that I wanted one! Although, I felt it was silly to get one when my mom has a cricut. I went to Walmart today to get a few things and I thought I’d stop by the craft section and see if I could see how much the vinyl machines cost (I was thinking Christmas is right around the corner and maybe I could save all my Christmas money and get it.) BUT, look at what I saw!!
Cricut Vinyl and Transfer Tape! I didn’t need to get a new machine after all! Each of these items were only $9, I could definitely afford $18 for this project. So, I went to my mom’s house to get to work. I wasn’t sure exactly what size to make the words, so I first cute the words out on paper so see what size would be perfect (I ended up printing the word 8 times to get the right size/font so I’m glad I didn’t waste all that vinyl!).
Perfect! Now we are ready to cut the real thing! After you cut the shapes, you arrange them (backwards) on the transfer tape. (I had to use a piece of scotch tape to tape the transfer tape down because it kept rolling up.)
Then you pull off the backing from the vinyl.
Then place the tape on the canister, rub all of the letters down, then pull off the transfer tape and there you have it!
Now John can tell exactly what is in each canister without having to ask me. And they look a lot cuter with the names on them!
Total cost of this project was about $1.50!! (I only used less than 1/8 of the vinyl and just a tad of the transfer tape!)
I have LOTS of other ideas swirling around in my head of what else I can do, so stay tuned!!