Last week John said to me, “Don’t laugh at what I’m about to say… I’m really craving red beans and rice.” And of course I laughed because we never eat beans (except black beans with Mexican food). But like a good wife ( 🙂 ) I wanted to make him what he wanted. There was a slight problem though, I didn’t really know what Red Beans & Rice were. Well, I knew the obvious that is was red beans cooked with rice, but I didn’t know if you were supposed to add anything else or if it was all mixed together or separate. Luckily All Recipes came to my rescue. They have several recipes for Red Beans and Rice, after looking through a few, I picked one and started cooking! (I was really excited to find that smoked sausage was an ingredient, yumm!)
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 16 ounces smoked sausage, thinly sliced
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- Bring the rice and water to boil in a pot. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 20 minutes.(I just cooked minute rice in the microwave. Secret confession, I’ve never cooked rice on the stove, I’m scared to, but I’m not sure why…)
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in onion and green bell pepper, and cook until tender.
- Stir in sausage, and cook until evenly browned.
- Mix in beans and tomatoes, and continue cooking until heated through.
- Serve skillet mixture over the rice.